Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Determination....An Interview With Josh Smith

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


We had an opportunity to ask Josh Smith some questions this week. In the process, we learned just how determined this 27 year old guitarist is. He is a native of South Florida, who moved to L.A. to further his career. Josh just completed a seven month tour with Taylor Hicks and the Soul Patrol was mesmerized with his versatile guitar playing. His first CD release in seven years, "Deep Roots" is a fantastic collection of traditional blues tunes.


How did you get the gig with Taylor Hicks?
Loren called me for an audition and the rest is history.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Who else have you toured with? How did that compare with Taylor?
I toured internationally and nationally with Virgin recording artist Ricky Fante for over 2 years along w/many national tours of my own music. It is all pretty much the same but this tour has had the best fans. I have done studio work and gigs around L.A. with a number of people as well. Most of that is Pop and Hip-Hop.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Any funny bus stories you care to share with the Soul Patrol?
Nope. We usually slept.


The tattoos on your arm are quite intricate. Is there a story there about the meaning behind the tattoo?
I actually have many tattoos on both arms. Most are music related with the exception of a flaming heart on my wrist (matching one my wife has on her wrist), a 335 Gibson on my arm in honor of my son Riley B and also his namesake BB king, a Marshall style amp on my arm with my daughter's name (Mackenzie) instead of Marshall. The largest tattoo is a dragon with a Samurai. This one is still not finished.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


How long have you been in music?
I started playing guitar when I was 3 and lessons when I was 6. I began playing in clubs/bars when I was 13. I had 4 CDs of my own music out by the time I was 20 but the blues genre is a hard one. I moved to L.A. 5 years ago when I was 22 in the hopes of being a sideman and doing studio work. I had my first touring gig one year later. I have been lucky and have played with many people over the years from BB King to Chris Layton & Tommy Shannon from Double Trouble, Jimmy Thackery. I have been friends with Keb'Mo for about 15 years. He is the one who actually encouraged me to move out to California.


Who is your inspiration?
BB King, Freddie King, Albert King, Sam Cooke, Stevie Ray, Bruce Springsteen, Danny Gatton and many more.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Do you play any other instruments?
I can play just about anything but guitar was always what I was meant to play.







Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



What do you do to prepare for a show and then unwind after a show?
Nothing much for either. I am usually the most boring ,as I don't drink so I usually end up back at my hotel trying to get in a video chat with my family.


Tell us about your CD.
I always wanted to make a traditional blues & roots CD. I am really proud of it. It gave me the chance to work with some really great musicians here in Los Angeles. It has been well received.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Taylor's Angels wishes to thank Josh Smith for spending some time with us and we wish him the best in his future endeavors!


Please leave comments for Josh to read in our comment section!


For more information on Josh Smith visit:
http://www.myspace.com/joshsmithguitar


Listen to Deep Roots !



Published by Teri (Cydter) and Taylor's Angels

Photo Credits: Josh Smith, Phantom, Ragsqueen

Video Credit: PaytheDevil

No comments: